We've collected, coded, and cataloged thousands of picture books published since 2002 depicting Black and Indigenous people and People of Color (BIPOC), and our data is available to the public -- live and free for your use.
We invite you to review the first-of-their-kind live data charts on our home page that examine the disparities in representation of BIPOC in current multicultural children's picture books.
You may also dive deeper and look at how representation breaks down when you consider different racial and cultural groups.
Currently these are available for:
- Asian/Pacific Islander/Asian American
- Bi/Multiracial/Mixed Race
- Black/African/African American
- Brown-Skinned and/or Race Unclear
- First/Native Nations/American Indian/Indigenous
- Latinx/Hispanic/Latin American
- Middle Eastern/North African/Arab
To help encourage a fresh look and deeper examination of this data, our team is putting together some thought-starter questions for you, your classrooms and libraries to ponder.